Our team of faculty have all earned Master’s degrees in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, linguistics, and related fields of study. They have designed a rigorous curriculum which includes courses in Reading and Writing for Academic Purposes, Grammar, Listening, Pronunciation and Speaking skills.
Spring International Language Center’s Intensive English Program is a 25-hour-per-week program specifically designed to:
- Prepare international students to enter U.S. colleges and universities
- Assist professionals who desire to strengthen their English language skills
- Teach anyone who seeks to improve their English communication skills
Each 9-week session will help students to:
- Listen more accurately and speak more fluently
- Read faster with greater comprehension and write more clearly and correctly
- Improve pronunciation and understandability
In addition to your academic program, you can expect the following services:
- Support programs are offered for cross-cultural adjustment, stress and time management, and academic study skills.
- SILC has computer and language lab facilities available for independent study and research on the Internet. Upon arrival, students will receive personal e-mail accounts with this university.
- Students receive full access to all of the University of Arkansas libraries, computer labs, recreational and health facilities.
- SILC also offers regularly scheduled cultural, social and recreational activities which include hiking, canoeing, picnics, theater and musical events. Students may also participate in our Language Partner program, have an academic advisor and be introduced to a colleague in their field.
After a placement test, students will start at one of seven levels ranging from beginning to advanced.
- Reading, Writing, and Vocabulary Development
- Listening, Speaking, and Pronunciation Improvement
- English Grammar Skills
- Conversational Skills
- Audio-lingual Lab and Computer Lab
In addition, advanced levels emphasize:
- Academic Preparation
- Public Speaking and Debate
- Business English
- Advanced Vocabulary and Grammar
- Test-Taking Workshops in TOEFL, GMAT, and GRE Prep (extra fee)
- Special Seminars on Cultural and Academic Topics
- College Placement Assistance
- Enrollment in University Courses for Academically Qualified Students